- Create a photo book for Maddie’s first 10 years as a gift for her 10th birthday (done: she is so pleased!)
- Schedule date nights with Richard (sort of: some but not enough!)
- Organize 10 family days out before Marikki leaves (done: we had so much fun!)
my resolutions for 2017
we start the year with a house move and a large renovation project underway, so it’s a bit hard to know what’s realistic to take on in 2017. here are the resolutions i am pursuing for this year:
- Take and post a photo a day
- Organize my online contacts
- Run at least once a week with Richard
- Cycle with Maddie to school once weather improves
- Read a poem for every night of the year with Maddie
- Create a house renovation book
- Complete one house project each month
- Join a new exercise class
- Practice mindfulness via Breathe app on watch (at least once daily)
- Run 500 miles
my resolutions for 2016
as 2015 draws to a close, I am planning some motivating (and generally fun) resolutions for the next 12 months:
- Take and post a daily #gratitude photo Done! I decided quite early on to simplify this and just post photos every day. And this I did, as you can see on http://www.meandmyall.com
- Try something new every week Not sure. I tracked this for a number of months but then just tried to keep a growth mindset.
- Get MBTI certification Done! In New York City in February. And also Hogan and Lumina Spark!
- Organize my online research and readings No – I forgot all about this and didn’t do this but I would say overall I think they are relatively well organized.
- Interview 10 leaders Done! Enjoyed meeting people and strengthening my research on social leadership.
- Achieve my business goals for 2016 Nearly! 4/5 and the 5th pretty close. So feel good about this one!
- Get family photos taken Done! With our talented friend Wilky. Can’t wait to hang these in the new house.
- Organize a summer camping holiday Nope. Just didn’t get to this.
- Clear out and organize the loft Done, but not in the way I expected! All packed and in storage right now, and I suspect more cleaning will take place in the coming months.
- Join a gym or new exercise class Done! Went back to the LBT classes I attended before the floods and really enjoyed these.
- Run in 12 organized 5K runs No – I really failed at this one. It took me ages to heal from my injury last October and I didn’t get motivated around this. However I did run consistently throughout the year.
- Get a minimum of 20 minutes exercise daily Not sure – I tracked this for the first few months and found it really hard. I think I my bar for what I counted as “exercise” was quite high. I definitely ran / went to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. I am trying to track this again this year with my watch.
my new year’s resolutions for 2015
- Watch at least one TED talk per week (sort of: not quite, but watched a lot and READ more non-fiction than any other year!)
- Follow these great steps: http://www.fastcompany.com/3038926/10-steps-towards-a-better-more-productive-you-in-2015 (done: a bit subjective, but I feel like I really did this!)
- Continue attending Finnish School and study daily (done!)
- Send appreciation cards (done: even designed cards for my company that I could send)
- Reorganize my contacts (sort of: tried to do this but failed because of technology issues. wish I could fix this one in 2016)
- Start a running club or find a running buddy (done: thanks Helen, my running partner in Brigidine Running Club!)
- Run another half marathon (done: Royal Parks Half Marathon, October 2015, raising money for Lupus UK. loved it!)
- Buy a new fitness monitor (done: love my Microsoft Band)
- Take a mindfulness course (done: studied with the NeuroLeadership Group, which I really enjoyed. some focus on mindfulness)
- Write at least one blog post a week (sort of: not once a week. but once a month!)
- Find at least one brand new direct client (done! more than one!!)
- Complete my coaching course and ICF certification (done! both the certification and my ACC accreditation with the ICF)
my resolutions for 2014
december 31: 2014 didn’t turn out to be the year I expected when I wrote these resolutions, but in looking back, I still did – and enjoyed – quite a few of my resolutions.
In 2014 I resolve to…
Create a home environment that is happy, organized and peaceful.
- Do a 50-item de-cluttering purge. (done – and needs to be done again!)
- Prepare our house for Marikki’s arrival in the autumn. (done – this was different preparation than expected but….we converted our lounge at 38 Kings Road into a bedroom for Marikki for the first three weeks she was here, then found another rental home with more space and moved us all there in September, just a few days after she and Maddie started school. Our current rental is only a few blocks from the first one so we carried Marikki’s bed down the street to the new place!)
Continue to learn and grow throughout the year.
- Continue attending Finnish School and study daily. (sort of – continued on with Finnish School but did not study even close to daily)
- Keep a personal journal with a daily reflection. (done – privately for the first few months during the flooding, and I think it really helped me through that period, but after that I integrated it with my photo-a-day)
- Sketch a daily happy person. (sort of – I quickly bored of the happy people book but this one inspired me to sketch hundreds of animals using the Ames books)
- Go on a trip with Mom and Dad to Israel. (done – we went in late May and loved it)
- Update my blog and post a photo a day. (done – https://meandmyall.com/)
- Finish Maddie’s needlepoint. (no – again no – I crocheted nearly 50 hats but didn’t even touch this needlepoint.)
- Create a time management tips brochure. (no – hmm. didn’t even remember this one. think I channelled all my creativity into hats)
Focus on what matters most.
- Create a printed family tree. (no – really didn’t remember this one either)
- Send appreciation cards and continue to keep my 365 salutes list. (done – started an appreciation list and realized I have so many people to be grateful for it’s hard to keep it on a list. but increased my appreciation cards)
- Plan and go on a proper summer holiday. (done – decided since doing things with family was the best part of this awful year we would go to Disneyworld with Richard’s mum, sister and boys, which was amazing)
- Take one break on my own. (no)
- Sponsor a child from Kenya. (no – talked to Benson about this one but then lost track of it with the flooding)
Maintain a healthy lifestyle, including 5x weekly exercise and healthy diet.
- Run another 500 miles (no – currently only 466 miles, and while I’m planning to run today, there’s no way I’ll run another 35! sigh.)
- Participate in at least 10 organized runs. (no – not even close – ran 1, organized 1)
- Go the spa at least 4 times. (no – went only once with Richard and it was so amazing but didn’t organize more)
Happy New Year!
my resolutions for 2013
- Create a daily appreciation list and send cards (done and still in progress: https://meandmyall.com/memy365-salutes-2/. Enjoyed this!)
- Digitize Finnish language tapes (inspired by this one to enrol in Saturday Finnish school, which I thought was even better!)
- Visit Samantha and Josh (done–with Maddie in May, and again Christmas. Really fun!)
- Finish Maddie’s needlepoint (nope – sitting here next to me, made progress but still not complete. never-ending this one)
- Run another 500 miles, but faster! (done! hooray! www.dailymile.com)
- Recruit 200 people to run my Run to Read 5K at Brigidine School (organized a successful run and great fundraiser despite horrible weather, but only 71 people registered. Organizing again for 2014!)
- Make a “mood board” journal (nope, decided pretty quickly this wasn’t working. resurrecting this in new form in 2014)
- Post a quality photo every day (done! http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonb/sets/72157632410948861/)
- Refresh my wardrobe (done! turned hangers around 1 Jan and then got rid of things I didn’t wear in season)
- Eliminate 10 minor annoyances (done! like this one)
my resolutions for 2012
- Keep a daily log (health, food, gratitude, exercise, etc) (done—including: https://meandmyall.com/favourite-things/ which I have LOVED and will try to keep going with a while longer!)
- Take a class or lessons in something new (sort of—took refresher snowboarding lessons. not new but really fun)
- Create a book from my remember blog (still not done. hmpf.)
- Create a basic family tree (worked with Mom on this and got the details for her family; still working on the other branches. one to continue!)
- Create a recipe box (done, very successfully with 100 individually designed recipe cards. Love it!)
- Update www.madelinebanks.com (did this early in the year but I’m not inspired to keep this updated as I don’t love the tool. will give this some thought for next year. still gathering the photos.)
- Run 500 miles and 5 10k runs (done! plus 18k, 1 half marathon, 2 5Ks!! see www.dailymile.com)
- Continue to exercise five times weekly (done!)
- Buy a pedometer/heart monitor (done, decided on a GPS watch instead. thanks Richard!)
- Post a quality photo every day (done—see http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonb/)
- Finish Maddie’s needlepoint (not done, but still working on it. determined to finish it in 2013)
my resolutions for 2011
- Update my personal blog and post a photo a day (done!)
- Create a book from my remember blog (hmm. didn’t get to this one.)
- Buy and study a world atlas (one country per week) (studied 6 countries but lost motivation and forgot about it when only once weekly)
- Create a 50 x 50 list (and get started!) (done!)
- Get professional family photos taken (done in November)
- Take a family holiday to Japan (tried but changed plans to a ranch in Colorado after the tsunami)
- Enjoy at least 24 “family days out” (done, 30 in fact)
- Drink water with every meal (doing this still, really great way of getting 8 glasses a day)
- Exercise five times weekly (still doing this too)
- Create an updated 2011 meal log (did this but pretty bored of it, so trying something different for 2012)
- Organize a 40th Birthday Party (done!)
- Update contacts on phone and PC (done!)
- Create a birthday list and send birthday cards (done!)
- Update my linked in profile (hmm. didn’t do this. probably should)
- Listen to at least one TED talk per week (not weekly, but I did listen to some amazing talks)